For people who want to get firsts for their degree…
Here are the rules for writing your essays and reports:
Argument and Understanding
• Does the answer cover all aspects of the question?
• Does the argument have a clear and logical sequence?
• Is the material accurate?
• Does the essay cover both theories and evidence?
• Are theories and assertions backed up by evidence, or are these two aspects left unconnected?
• Does the student evidence use of material from his/her reading of sources?
• Does the student create original points using their own argument?
• Does the answer address the question set without diverging from the topic?
• Has the student synthesized the arguments well?
• Does the answer refer to key and contemporary debates in the area relevant to the essay question?
• How extensive is the bibliography?
• Are theories and evidence simply stated or are the merits and problems of each considered in appropriate depth?
Writing style and referencing
• Is the essay presented well with a clear introduction, paragraphing and conclusion?
• Does the essay answer the question within the given word-limit?
• Is the essay written in clear academic English, using appropriate terms?
• Does the student use colloquialisms and meaningless jargon rather than a formal academic style?
• Does the essay have a correctly referenced bibliography?
• Does the essay show correct referencing throughout?
via Psychsociety: The UK’s leading community for Psychology Students and Alumni
Due to the recent failure of the society’s hoody supplier in meeting demand, we have decided to halt Hoody sales for NEW products until October when we start with a new supplier.
Really bad service from Brixton Based ‘Hustlebucks’ led to society president Darren Shaw losing his cool after being made to wait a month for 2 special hoodies to be printed.
There are a few Navy Blue Hoodies in stock ready to be sold.
At the recent Annual General meeting of the Psychological Society of Birkbeck committee, several changes were made to the structure of the society in order to maintain continuation of the services that the society provides to psychology students.
Laura Fernando was promoted from acting secretary to society treasurer, replacing Diana Harary in the role of managing society finances. It was felt that her business focus would benefit the society fiscally over the coming academic year after she increased the society’s income by 400% within 3 months of joining the team. Diana Harary will continue to play a role in the management of members and will mentor Laura in the role in order to ensure a smooth transition over a 12 month period until mid-2016.
Society chair, Zander will serve out his term, and will be replaced by an incoming chair that is yet to be determined. There are several potential candidates for the role and they are being spoken to as an ongoing concern.
Society president Darren Shaw will continue as president for a 12 month period, during which time a suitable successor will be identified and mentored into the management of the society as a charitable business. Darren will be at Birkbeck a lot less, but will continue to serve as an event’s organizer.
The role of secretary is to be filled at the soonest possible opportunity, but for the time being, the existing officers will manage secretarial duties as and when required. There are candidates that we are in talks with that may choose to step into the role.